If you are in the tattoo-regret phase and are thinking about removing one or more tattoos, laser tattoo removal may be your best option. Before lasers, sanding and dermabrasion were the most popular methods other than surgery. However, laser tattoo removal is safer and quicker than other methods. The laser targets the pigment in the tattoo and breaks it into tiny flakes that are absorbed by the body through the immune system and eliminated. Black and dark blue are the easiest colors to remove because they absorb all wavelengths, but there are also lasers that focus on red, green and yellow.
Before the treatment starts, our expert will evaluate your skin and tattoos to determine the kind of laser to use. A topical anesthetic or a local anesthetic may be administered. You and the technician will wear protective eye gear. Here are some points that may be helpful to know before you choose laser tattoo removal.
• Ask our expert about reasonable expectations. Some tattoos may only partially fade and require a cover-up tattoo to disappear completely. A handheld device is used to point the laser beam at the specific color. It does not affect the surrounding skin.
• It will take more than one treatment to remove completely the tattoo. You may need to wait four to six weeks between treatments to let your skin heal.
• The speed with which your tattoo will fade may depend on where it is on your body. Since the ink is carried away in your blood, tattoos that are close to the heart tend to fade quicker than tattoos on the lower legs, wrists and arms.
• Professional tattoos may be easier to remove because the ink is evenly applied. In amateur tattoos, the ink is unevenly applied, but in general, amateur tattoos are easier to remove with lasers than professional ones.
• After a treatment, you may have redness like a sunburn. If you have a lightening or darkening of the skin, it will usually correct itself with six to 12 months.
If you are experiencing regret about any or all of your tattoos, you can rest assured that it is possible to have clear skin with laser tattoo removal. When you show your tattoos to our expert at Skin Deep Naples, you may learn more about the process and how long it will take to remove them. Contact us today and get started with laser tattoo removal at our Naples location!