Hair removal is second only to bathing for good grooming. Whether you tweeze, shave or wax, you look and feel better when you get rid of unwanted hair. However, rather than having to remove hair on a regular basis, you can opt for laser hair removal and have most of it removed.
The five main benefits to laser hair removal are:
- The laser only effects the pigmented area of the skin such as the hair follicle, so only the follicle is burned away and not the surrounding skin.
- Laser hair removal has been done for the past 18 years and is proven to remove hair permanently by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA). This is defined as stable and long-term reduction in hair after a treatment regime.
- There is no recovery time after a treatment, and treatments are very quick depending on the size of the area that requires hair removal. From one minute to half an hour is all we usually take and you can be out the door.
- Laser hair removal causes very little pain, depending on the pain threshold of the person and the area of the body being treated.
- Ingrown hairs that are caused by shaving and waxing can be removed and there is very little chance of getting ingrown hairs from laser hair removal.
Hair grows in three stages, and laser hair removal works in the early part of the cycle. The hair is actively growing in the anagen stage, which is when laser hair removal treatments are performed. This is why it is important to have several treatments, so all of the hair can be treated as early as possible. The concentrated light beam, or laser, heats up the hair follicle. This prevents the follicle from growing. After treatment, any hair that grows back will be fine, light in color, and very sparse.
Each time the laser pulses, it can remove many hairs at once. An area approximately the size of a quarter can be treated every second. The legs and back may take up to an hour and the upper lip can be done in less than a minute. After three to seven sessions, most people have permanent hair loss.
Before coming in for laser hair removal, you should stop plucking, electrolysis or waxing for at least six weeks. The laser needs to burn the roots of the hair, which are temporally removed by these other methods. If the root is not present, the treatment may not be as effective.
During treatment sessions, your hair will be trimmed to a few millimeters long. The laser will be adjusted to accommodate your hair color, skin color, hair thickness and the location on your body. You and our trained technician will wear protective eye gear and a cool gel will be applied to the outer layers of your skin.
Laser hair removal is the best choice for permanent reduction of body hair and good grooming. At Skin Deep Naples, our medical team will work with you to create a treatment plan that is tailored to your needs. Contact Skin Deep Naples today to schedule your consultation.